Saturday, April 26, 2014

日はまた昇る アーネスト ヘミングウェイ

日はまた昇る アーネスト ヘミングウェイ

The Sun Also Rises 
by Ernest Hemingway

I always wanted to read this book, because I have heard multiple times that this book talks about the San Fermín in Pamplona. When I saw this book at BOOK-OFF at the 45th St. in NYC for only $4.00, I bought it right away before I read in English. Yes, I read twice, once in Japanese and then in English.


Yes, this book talked about the fiesta de San Fermín a great deal, around the young lives of Jake (narrator) and his friends which is called LOST GENERATION.
Personally I do not agree with the way of living (because I am old and more conservative now), but in my 20s I might have done the same, living as we go in a way of impromptu, drinking, partying, and having a good time, followed by very lonely vanity of life.
What amazed me was that Jake, the narrator was able to describe many events around his life and his friends' lives with very details, even though he was escaping from the reality trying to fill the emptiness of life (described as the lost generation. ). Certainly he was not lost, rather his eyes were wide open to see and describe about the fiesta, friends, etc. What is lost is probably the absence of reactions by all these young generation people to the exciting events. I felt like these people were numbed by too many World Wide (painful) Events such as WWI, and human psychological nature protects them by not making any reaction from their painful feelings.

As for the San Fermín, I have never been to Pamplona yet. but one day I would like to make it and sing POBRE DE MI with all these crowd.     see video about San Fermin.

The video I could use in class for Spanish 1 students is here.  (WARNING: botellas alcoholicas en las calles)...


No comments:

Post a Comment